Official Launch of the GenerationeXt Youth Business Incubator
For immediate release
Ottawa (June 27th, 2018) – The official launch of the GenerationeXt Youth Business Incubator project will take place on Wednesday, June 27th from 5-8pm at Pinecrest-Queenway Employment Services located in Lincoln Fields mall (2525 Carling Ave.) The event will recognize the generous support from RBC, who has committed to fund the implementation of youth business incubators in four locations across the city of Ottawa over the next year, and showcase young entrepreneurs and their businesses, with the aim of sparking creativity, connectivity, and new relationships between these young entrepreneurs, community members, established businesses and elected officials.
GenerationeXt Youth Business Incubator project is intended to provide a space for youth to foster creativity and innovation, capitalizing on a large pool of unemployed and under-employed, but highly educated and motivated young people in Ottawa. These grassroots economic development incubators will include activities implemented at the neighbourhood level, plus a co-creation space where young people will work together and be supported to serve as key agents of change. The youth will develop the skills and connections needed to advance their own businesses while contributing in a meaningful way to grow a more sustainable local economy with new jobs and meeting neighbourhood needs. The GenerationeXt Youth Business Incubator project offers services at four sites throughout the city: PQCHC Employment Services office, Britannia Woods Community House, Banff Avenue Community House and Rideau-Rockcliffe Community Resource Centre.
GenerationeXt is a project of the Partnering for Success in Youth Employment (PSYE) collective impact initiative led by the Social Planning Council of Ottawa, which aims to improve labour market outcomes for 15-29 year olds in Ottawa by:
- Making the local job market transparent and expanding local economic activities
- Ensuring youth are well prepared to support the new economy, with employability and entrepreneurial skills.
- Creating effective pathways for youth to connect to meaningful economic opportunities
- Building effective systems and cross-sector collaboration.
Call to Action
PSYE is calling on:
- Experienced entrepreneurs and professionals to offer their support as mentors to budding youth entrepreneurs through the GenterationeXt project
- Small and medium sizes businesses to post jobs publically so that all youth have an equal chance to apply, and for these businesses to be open to hiring a youth who is not in their immediate network.
Phone Number: (613)820-4922 ext. 3310